|Location:||Vancouver , British Columbia, Canada|
Susanne Raab is a lawyer at Pacific Medical Law, and an advocate for people living with disabilities. She has been selected for inclusion by her peers in Best Lawyers in Canada in the area of Medical Negligence and is recognized as a leading practitioner in the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory in medical malpractice. Susanne is also a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, an honorary trial lawyer society whose membership is limited to less than one-half of one percent of North American lawyers, judges and scholars.
Susanne’s practice focuses on representing individuals and families who have suffered injuries as a result of medical malpractice, with a focus on birth injuries and catastrophic brain and spinal cord injuries. Prior to joining Pacific Medical Law, Susanne spent much of her legal career representing physicians in complex medical malpractice actions.
Susanne has appeared before the Provincial Court and Supreme Court of British Columbia, the BC Court of Appeal, as well as the Supreme Court of Canada. Susanne also serves on the Board of Governors of the Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia, which is committed to improving access to justice for all British Columbians.
Susanne is also an adjunct professor at the UBC Allard School of Law where she teaches the medical negligence course to 2nd and 3rd year law students.
Susanne is actively involved in advocating for individuals living with disabilities, and serves as the President of the Board of Directors as well as Chair of the Advisory Committee of the Cerebral Palsy Association of British Columbia.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Medical Malpractice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- University of Victoria, Faculty of Law, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- University of Western Ontario
- Chair, “Proving Physical and Psychiatric Injuries” Trial Lawyers Association of BC, Medical Legal Conference, 2017
- Speaker, “A Physician’s Duty to Disclose Medical Errors”, BC Radiological Society 2016
- Speaker, “Claims for Nervous Shock – Advances in the Law and Medicine”, Trial Lawyers Association of BC, Medical Legal Conference, 2016
- Speaker, “The Treating Physician as an Expert Witness, Issues of Procedure, Admissibility and Bias”, Canadian Bar Association, National Health Law Summit, 2015
- Medical Ethics Guest, University of British Columbia Faculty of Medicine
- Speaker, “Civil Litigation – Causation in Medical Malpractice Cases”, Continuing Legal Education, 2014
- Speaker, “Nursing Liability in the Context of the Evolving Nursing Profession”, Greater Vancouver Legal Nurse Consultants Association, 2014
- Chair, Medicine for Lawyers, Continuing Legal Education, 2014
- Chair, Merging of the Minds, Trial Lawyers Association of BC, Medical Legal Conference, 2013
- Speaker, “The Influence of Counsel on an Expert’s Report – Where to Draw the Line”, Greater Vancouver Legal Nurse Consultants Association, 2013
- Speaker, “Medical Malpractice Litigation: The B.C. Experience”, Ontario Trial Lawyers Association, Medical Malpractice Conference, 2013
- Speaker, “Making way for the modern mother: The campaign for improved work-life balance in private practice”, Lunching with Leaders, The Law Courts Inn, 2013
- Chair, Persuasion and the Complex Case, Trial Lawyers Association of BC, Medical Legal Conference, 2012
- Speaker, “The Foundations of Expert Reports: Writing and Admissibility”, Trial Lawyers Association of BC, Medical Legal Conference, 2012
- Speaker, “What is Admissible, and What isn’t Admissible in Expert Reports”, Greater Vancouver Legal Nurse Consultant Association, 2012
Honors and Awards
- The Best Lawyers in Canada – Medical Negligence
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia, Board Member
- Cerebral Palsy Association of British Columbia, President of the Board and Chair of the Advisory Committee
- Law Society of British Columbia, Member
- BC Coalition of People with Disabilities, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, Member
- Canadian Bar Association, National Health Law Subsection, Executive Member (Past)
- Family Support Institute of BC, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Harper Grey LLP
- The Law Society of British Columbia